Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Tai's blog post 2/7

Today was our first official day at Nagisa High School, and we got started pretty early. I woke up this morning to my host sister's dog licking my face, and I was reminded a lot of home and my cat waking me up every morning. We ended up having to rush a bit, but we made it to school on time to introduce ourselves to the staff and students. Me, Will, and Claire introduced ourselves in front of all the fourth years. It was pretty nerve wracking, but everyone else was just as nervous to talk as we were so I felt a bit better.
Today we got to spend some time in English classes and I remembered how bad I am at grammar. We got to play a kanji game together with the students, which was fun because we all got to learn something new by trying to communicate with each other. We all got a gift from the teacher to take home with us, a souvenir from Nagisa High School.
After a quick lunch with my host sister we left for Otafuku, a factory that makes okonomi sauce. This sauce is used to top okonomiyaki, a savory pancake that is a famous food here in Hiroshima. I was surprised to learn that this food and this factory in particular had so much history behind it, and so not only did we get to see the process of how the sauce is made, we got to see the process of how it came to be. At the end we each got a piece of okonomiyaki to try (it was delicious) and a fresh bottle of sauce as well.
Our last planned event of the day was a party with the international club. They gave us Japanese snacks and did a really nice presentation on Japanese holidays. Me and Lisa danced to Drop Pop Candy but we were a bit out of practice so it wasn't perfect. 
I was pretty exhausted when I got home so after eating hot pot and talking with my host mom and sister for a bit, I took a bath and pretty much passed out. I'm looking forward to exploring more of Hiroshima and eating a lot more new foods!


No comments:

Post a Comment