Friday, February 17, 2017

Rachel's Blog Post 2/17


I would like to start off by saying Happy Birthday Sean! I hope you have a wonderful day! I also hope Mom shows you this so you can know that I embarrassed you on a school blog. I spent your birthday in Tokyo, for the second of the 3 (and a half if you count the travel day on Sunday) days we will be here. We started our day in a part of Tokyo called Akihabara.
It’s the central place for everything electronic and anime related. The streets are lined with department stores, little shops, and arcades. We walked around a bit, going into some department stores and carefully avoiding the *adult* stores that unapologetically graced the sides of the streets.
Due to the fact that I don’t really watch anime, read manga, or listen to Japanese music (sometimes I ask myself what I’m even doing taking this language), I didn’t exactly find much to buy here. But many other people on the trip loved this place, and bought many things.
I wish I took a picture of this to show you guys just to prove that I’m not lying, but I didn’t think to. We were in a department store that advertised a sporting goods section. I went there, just to look and see what they have (maybe buy a Japanese baseball or something, who knows). I looked all around the advertised floor for the sporting section, and found a single shelf with two baseball gloves and a badminton racket. I’m not even exaggerating. There’s more of a selection at the dollar store near my house.

We found lunch in Akihabara, then went to God knows where in Tokyo (maybe even the outskirts of Tokyo? It was a pretty long train ride) to go to the Ghibli Museum. Ghibli studios created Tonari no Totoro and Howl’s Moving Castle, along with many other popular animated movies that I haven’t watched.
(sorry for the blurry photo. I don’t have a reason for this being so bad other than I’m just bad at taking photos). The museum was filled with statues and exhibits honoring the movies Ghibli Studios has made. Unfortunately, the museum did not allow photos to be taken inside. But, it was filled with cute scenes from movies I probably should have watched like this one.
And there was this guy on the roof. (never mind the strangers who happened to be taking a nice picture while I was getting this shot). All in all, I thought today was exciting. Akihabara had so many things branded with anime characters, and in the Ghibli museum we saw some of those characters come to life. I can only imagine what today was like for those on this trip who knew what they were looking at.
20170217_090903.jpg
20170217_094232.jpg20170217_102002.jpg20170217_172145.jpg20170217_164028.jpg20170217_164731.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment