Saturday, February 11, 2017

Lindsey's blog 2/10 - The school on an island

Today was a great day in the Hiroshima study tour trip. Today we visited a Japanese elementary school named Kamagari elementary school. I was surprised by the fact that the school was on an island and the entire population of the school was about 30 students. I thought there would be much more students for an elementary school. I was also surprised by the fact when I saw the students, they were not wearing uniforms, just regular clothes like what we wear back home to school. With these students we did a variety of activities. We first listened to to them sing there school song, which all the while made me have elementary school music flashbacks for me. Then we played a game were we had to go in teams and run to these huge cards and pick the right one before the other team got to them first. Then we got split up again by grade level and did little activities with them. I got put with the 2nd graders and wrote my name a variety of other things in kanji. It was quite the experience to say the least. After that, we saw the older grades put on a music show with drums and a special dance most likely passed down by generations upon generations because the dance felt historical. That was hands down my favorite part. The whole trip was cold. It was so cold and odd because when we left Nagisa high and when we were there it was sunny. But one cloud just managed to have tons of snows on it. And in the distance you could even see the sun while it was snowing. Thus it snowed all throughout recess. The kids were sad to see us leave, and I have to admit I was as well when one of them came up and hugged me. But overall I think this is one of my favorite parts of the trip so far learning how an elementary school works in Japan and I hope for more great experiences this coming week.


No comments:

Post a Comment